SHOP workers were evacuated amid fears of an explosion after an early morning fire.
A blaze broke out at an outbuilding on a scrapyard on Bryn Estyn Road, Wrexham, shortly before 7am yesterday.
The blaze was close to the site of the Old Bungalow Garage and staff at a nearby mechanical supplies store were evacuated amid fears a gas cylinder stored in the building could explode.
The building was completely gutted in the blaze along with two vehicles.
A spokesman for the North Wales Fire Service said: “The incident took place in an outhouse at a scrapyard.
“An oxyacetylene cylinder was housed in the building involved in the fire. Two appliances from Wrexham were mobilised to the scene.
“A shop in the immediate area was evacuated with the assistance of North Wales Police.
“The fire caused 100 per cent damage to the workshop, two vehicles and the cylinder.”
Fire crews remained at the scene throughout the day cooling down the gas cylinder.
Eyewitness Stacey McCann, 25, lives in a house next to the yard.
She said: “We had a knock on the door at about 7.45am. I had a look and saw the fire service.
“My first reaction was to think our chimney had caught alight.
“When I spoke to them they explained there had been a fire just down the road from us.
“They said there was no need to evacuate our property, but advised us to keep out of the garden because it is close to the yard.
“It is a bit of a shock getting woken up by two firemen in uniform.”
Another neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: “The fire service advised us to stay indoors and keep out of the garden and courtyard. They explained there was a cylinder which needed to cool down.”
North Wales Police cordoned off the scene while the fire crews worked to bring the fire under control.
The site was still cordoned off last night and fire crews remained there overnight.
A spokesman for North Wales Fire and Rescue Service said it was unlikely a cause would be established until later today.